What is Pilates?
Specific physical movement that will help you feel and look your very best.
Peak Pilates is a safe and time honoured system of gentle exercises that will transform your mind and body by:
- Teaching body Awareness
- Promoting good posture with easy graceful movement
- Improves flexibility, agility and economy of motion
- Tones, and strengthens the body
- Helps alleviate back pain
- Lengthens, stretches and slims the body
- Builds mind awareness techniques that can transform both the body and mind
Pilates is a form of mind – body awareness exercise that is named after its founder Joseph Pilates.
Joseph Pilates originally designed his Pilates system of mind, body awareness exercises to help rehabilitate injured WW1 soldiers in regaining their health by strengthening, stretching, and stabilising key muscles.
Joe believed in control and technique over increased repetition, with precise body movements and mindful awareness that would give optimum physical and mental synergy, essential for a person’s whole body and mind physical transformation. Pilates uses correct alignment, centering, concentration, control, precision, breathing, and flowing movement (the Pilates principles) to establish a perfect working body from the inside out.
Pilates has a focus on the core which can basically be thought of as the â€˜powerhouseâ€™ of your body. Pilates classes build strength, flexibility and lean muscle tone with an emphasis on lengthening the body and aligning the spine. With the focus being on the core area of the physical body, Pilates is used not only in the field of fitness, but also in rehabilitation. It can be used to progress individuals through movements that represent their day-to-day activities. The focus on strengthening the core and improving postural awareness are especially well established for the alleviation and prevention of back, neck and joint pain.
Benefits of Pilates:
Live, Breath, Be Aware, Enjoy Life
The benefits of Pilates are numerous. The list below is limiting as each individual will experience not only these benefits but many more, in our experience.
- Better posture
- Creation of a natural girdle of strength
- A flatter stomach and trimmer waist
- Toned buttocks, thighs, arms and shoulder area
- Better balance and flexibility
- Greater joint mobility and helps with osteoporosis
- Reduced neck and back pain
- Reduced risk of injury
- Greater strength and muscle tone
- Boosted immune system and more efficient respiratory system
- More efficient lymphatic system reduces toxins in the body
- More efficient circulatory system
- Improved concentration and lower stress levels
- Increased energy levels
- Bone density improvement
- Increased metabolic rate
- Aids in digestion
- Clear focused mindset
- You feel in control
Is Pilates for Me?
Peak Pilates suits young and old, fitness gurus and the couch potato, those in physical rehabilitation, professional and amateur sports people, and those wanting a healthier lifestyle. The mind – body connection will revive and transform, bring awareness, give you a new zest for life, and help hold back the ravages of age. So, we like to say, â€œWho isnâ€™t Pilates for?â€
We have put together just a few questions that you may like to ask yourself when it comes to whether Pilates is for you:
- Do you suffer from stiffness, tiredness, neck or backache?
- Are you frustrated by your inability to achieve your physical goals even after considerable practice?
- Do you exercise regularly but still have tired muscles?
- Do you strive to have a flat stomach?
- Do you want to minimise the postural effects of pregnancy?
If you can answer â€œYesâ€ to any of these questions, Pilates can help you. But, Pilates has its limitations. It does not contribute to cardiovascular fitness or resting heart rate. It is not a weight loss programme, however, when done in conjunction with a sensible diet Pilates can assist with weight loss.
Pilates really is an individual exercise revolution that we promise will change your life. If you would like to experience pilates first hand then try our â€œone-on-one introductory package.â€